Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: To all Wal-Mart users on the East Coast

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Colorburst300's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2002
    Posts
    60
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    Hey,

    I was at Wal-Mart today, and I talked to the manager of the photo dept (who I also know pretty well). He said that they do outlab super 8 film, and then we went and checked that flipbook that shows the special services. It says: Movie Film Processing 4.88 per roll. Then, he told the girl at the counter to call the outlab just to make sure they still did it so my film doesn't come back in 2 weeks undeveloped. Anyway, they said they will only put it on VHS. Now tell me... what in the hell is the sense of that? Why won't they send me back a reel of film?? Here's the thing...the film I shot is just my first test roll. I really don't care if it's on VHS or reel, but I prefer it to be on a reel since I want to see the colors and definition first hand of the film I just shot so I know I'm using a deccent camera.

    So, advice from anyone. Should I just throw it in the envelope and wait 2 weeks to see what 4.88 will give me? I don't know why in the world they wouldn't put the damn thing on a reel if they have to process the film in the first place. What the hell do they do with your film?? That is nonsense.

    So, I'll leave with that. Any input would be appreciated.

    Mike

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Best advice DO NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH WALMART ON THE EAST COAST. People there just don't know anything about Super 8, specifically the difference between developing and transfer to video. East Coast Walmarts just are not in the correct outlab chain so the film will never end up in the right place which is Dwaynes lab.

    Goto k14movies.com

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll simply never understand why so many super8 filmmakers are willing to take their chances by dropping their film in a Wal-Mart or Target bin. I've read dozens of posts complaining about film getting lost, returned unprocessed, etc. Here's a tip: send it to Kodak or Dwayne's directly or purchase the film directly from Kodak with processing included. You'll be paying about as much as you would to give it to Wal-Mart (and maybe never see it again). It's your film... what's it worth to you?

  4. #4
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    For those S8 shooters in the Philadelphia, Pa area (or for those so desperate that they're willing to make a really long drive) : (:

    If you have K40 that you want developed and don't want to wait two weeks for it to come back from Kodak, try this place:

    Landis Supermarket
    2685 County Line Road
    Telford, Pa 18969
    (215) 723-1157

    They will outlab your K40 to Dwayne's. It's $7.69/roll ($8.16/roll after sales tax). I use this store all the time and they deliver. They handle Regular 8mm Cinechrome/Kodachrome at the same price. It's $3 more than Wal-Mart or Target, but your film will come back developed and on a S8 reel. No more dealing with a clueless Wal*Mart bonehead!

    Just be sure to write "Super 8mm movie film--process K-14" in the special instructions box.

    Tom

  5. #5
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I forgot to mention--the film takes 3-5 days to be processed.

    Tom

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Colorburst300's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2002
    Posts
    60
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks for the input. I guess I can go direct to Kodak although what do I send the film in? Do they require a special mailer for it and if so does THAT cost money too?

    i guess I was just amazed by the walmart price of 4.88 a roll, but you're all right...i worked at walmart when I was 16 and even back then the workers didn't know anything.

  7. #7
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    That $4.88 price is too good to be true. As for a special mailer, you can buy a PK-59 mailer from one of the dealers on the internet (Kodak discontinued them; I don't think you can buy them anymore) or you can send it to Kodak's shipping point in New Jersey. I don't have the address on me, but it's listed on both Mike Brantley's website and the Shooting 8mm website. Someone here might jump in with the address.

    As for Kodak, I'm pretty sure they only handle K40 and the Vision 200T negative stock (I think). I know they won't touch the black-and-white stocks with a ten-foot pole. As for Ektachrome 7240, awhile I ago I read that Kodak outlabs that to Rocky Mountain Film Lab, but I'm not sure about that.

    Good luck.

    Tom

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buy the film from Kodak with processing included. It's a great deal.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I keep hearing people talk about Kodak K-40 coming with processing.
    I don't see that ANYWHERE on their website.
    Can one of you guys send me an EXACT link to where it says that?
    I'd like to order some that way...

    Matt Pacini

    [email protected]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Hanthx's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 27th, 2000
    Posts
    420
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here the answers to I hope everybodies questions.

    Most Walmarts (even on the East Coast) send their reversal films (slide film and movie films) to Dwyanes.
    IT DOES NOT COME BACK ON A VHS TAPE.
    Your film with come back on a reel.
    And yes, it only costs 4.88 plus tax.
    Drop it in the bag, write down in the "special instructions" area MOVIE FILM.
    They send it out EVERY FRIDAY AFTERNOON, so if you drop it off on Thursday, it will be back next Friday...only taking a bit more than a week.
    Don't ask them about Super 8, no one will know what your talking about.

    Now after I've said all that, here's a better plan.
    For a little more than 10 bucks, you can buy a roll of Kodachrome with processing...it includes a mailer in which you fix postage too. Kodak in the United States does not process Kodachrome, only the European based companies do. Your film will be sent overseas, and will come back in 2 weeks.
    Since the European based Kodak companies were selling Kodachrome with processing, the U.S. Kodak companies thought it would be a good idea also.

    Kodak processing is (in my opinion) a hell of a lot better than Dwaynes. If you send it to Dwaynes I guarantee it will come back with Blue-ish spots on it from the dirty rollers and if you're lucky, it will come back scratched. I've used Dwaynes for a long time but am disapointed with their results lately...but if you don't want to go through Kodak, 4.88 for a weeks turnaround is not bad. They do a decent job, but not the best job.

    Kodak has not updated their website for the Kodachrome with processing, but if you call Kodak they will know what your talking about. I forget the new catalog number, but it's there.

    Kodak is right down the street from me, so I've asked many questions.

    Hope this helps.

    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •